Whodunit Murder Mystery Game
Gather clues around the library and solve a mysterious murder!
Participants travel from room to room in the library trying to solve a mystery, similar to the game Clue, by Parker Brothers. Some of your favorite villains have been causing mayhem in the library. The winner will correctly guess the suspect, location, and the weapon involved in the crime.
The game takes approximately one hour to complete.
Number of players
Three versions of the game are available. Each set can accommodate 3 to 6 players, for a total of up to 18 participants.
How to play
Gather clues by moving through the following Library rooms:
- The Attic
- Writer’s Alcove
- Art gallery
- Story Circle
- Coat Room
- Welcome Desk
- Used Book Sale
- Spanish Corner
- Teen Corner
- Special Collections Room
(Multiple groups, playing at the same time, may need to begin and end in different rooms.)
- Start by marking which cards you have in your Detective Notebook on your notes sheet, making sure no one sees.
- Go to the first room and open the folder that matches the color on your notebook. Show everyone the card inside; mark it on the notes sheet then move on to the next room.
Beginning in the 5th room
- Each player takes a turn presenting a theory (possible suspect, room, and weapon)
- The first player after you (following the numbers on the notebooks) who has one of the cards named in your theory must show it to the player proposing the theory - but no one else.
- Once one card has been proven, that players' theory is done, and the next player can take a guess.
- When every player has had an opportunity to present a theory, the group moves to the next room and repeats the process.
Please note: There is a brief description of the room on the inside of each room folder. These descriptions do not contain game clues.
Request a Game
Requests to play Whodunit must be received at least one week in advance. To request a Whodunit Mystery Game, complete our Request Form or call the Reference Desk at 801-852-6661 to have a librarian take your request over the phone.
On Demand Programs
Not seeing what you want? Check out our On Demand Programs page for customized programs and activities that fit your needs.