Spring Reading Badges
This is a list of all the potential badges you can earn for Spring Reading this year, as well as directions on what you need to do to earn them. Log answers by signing in to your Spring Reading account, found HERE. This list can also be found on your Spring Reading account, under the Activity Badges tab.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the READ badge!
- Did you know that there are many downloadable ebooks and audiobooks on Libby that are always available? Browse through the always available titles and read or listen to one that sounds interesting to you.
- You or a family member read a book aloud while others act it out.
- Choose a book and describe the plot to someone without naming any of the characters or place names. Have them try to guess the title of the book.
- Read something at home that isn't a book. It could be the back of cereal box, an instruction manual, a poster, etc.
- Memorize and recite your favorite poem.
- Celebrate the color of Spring by reading a book that has a green cover.
- Read a book that has is about or set in Springtime. You could also read something that has a Spring word in the title like Spring, showers, April, May, flowers, etc.
- Read at least 20 minutes together with your family or friends. Then have a chat about what you read. What was your favorite part? What questions would you have for the author? What do you think happens next in the story?
- Read a book that you normally wouldn't read. Try a different genre or format and see what you think.
- Get some fresh air and sunshine by reading a book outside!
Complete two of the activities below to earn the CREATE badge!
- Creativebug is a database of online craft and hobby tutorials that you can access from our website with your library card. Explore Creativebug, and tell us about a tutorial you looked at. Watch one of our Boredom Busters videos and follow along to make your own craft. These can be found on our Facebook and Instagram pages live daily at 4pm.
- Make puppets out of old socks and other materials laying around, and perform a puppet show!
- Make your own comic book, complete with drawings.
- Make art out of whatever you have laying around. It could be beans, beads, pieces of paper, toilet paper rolls, carboard. The opportunities are endless.
- Read a book and then draw a picture about what you read.
- Write a funny story about what you are doing at home to keep from getting bored.
- Find a good recipe for a baked treat online and learn how to make it! Tell us what you baked!
- Get out your play-doh or find a recipe online to make your own. Have a competition to create different objects. See how creative you can be!
- Sometimes we love a book but we don't love the cover. Redesign a book cover the way that you imagine it should be.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the LIBRARY badge!
- Watch our live #cabinfever story times daily at 11am! You can find them on our Facebook page.
- Kanopy is an online streaming service that specializes in classic and indie films, as well as content for kids! Check out Kanopy for free with your library card and watch a movie or show. Tell us what you watched!
- The Provo Library hosts hundreds of programs each year for our community, including storytimes, adult learning programs, computer help, and teen events. What program would you like to see at the library?
- Let us know what your favorite resource from the library is. This can be online or at the Library
- Did you know that you can download free music with your library card? Freegal is a database where you can download songs that are yours to keep! Explore Freegal and tell us the name of a song you like.
- Browse through thousands of historical photographs by visiting the Historical Provo section of our website.
- Check out our library blogs for reviews, booklists, random facts, and other library fun! Tell us the title of a blog post you read.
- NoveList Plus is a comprehensive readers' advisory resource for fiction and nonfiction. Find Novelist under our Book Recommendations tab and use it to find a new book recommendations. What book did you find?
- The Provo Library has a new app! Go to your Apple or Android app store and find our app by searching Provo Library. Download it, and use it to browse our catalog, make changes to your account, and put items on hold.
- Global Road Warrior is a great resource for learning about different countries and travel planning. Take a look at this free database and tell us where your dream vacation would be.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the FAMILY badge!
- Give each family member a compliment about something that makes them special
- As a family make your own paper airplanes and then have a contest to see whoose plane will fly the farthest. You can make it more of a challenge and make a cardboard target that your planes have to fly through.
- Gather up any balls you have around the house, pit balls work the best. Take an old box you have lying around the house and turn it into a ramp that the balls can roll up. Cut off one side of the box and the top and use those pieces and any extras you have to tape inside the box to create a ramp. Put two laundry baskets at the end of the ramp. The closer basket can be worth 50 points and the one farther away is worth 100. Have fun seeing who can score the most points.
- Have a karaoke party with your family of all your favorite songs.
- Gather together some crazy accessories or costumes and have a goofy photo shoot.
- Take all the blankets, chairs, and couch cushions that you can find and make a giant fort together!
- Learn about an ancestor and write a story or make a drawing of them.
- Keep in touch with distant family members by writing them a letter or by sending them a video message.
- Enjoy your time inside together by playing a favorite board game or doing a puzzle together.
- Find a small ball. Sit or stand in a circle as a family. Toss the ball to each person and when they catch the ball they need to say one thing they are grateful for. Repeat until everyone has had 2-3 turns to say something they are grateful for.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the LEARN badge!
- Choose a new topic you have been wanting to learn about and research everything you can online, in ebooks, videos, etc. Tell us about what you learned!
- Learn a new song to sing or play on an instrument. Sing or play that song to a loved one.
- Get help with school, tests, and life skills with Learning Express Library. Explore the site and share a resource that could help you.
- Pronunciator is a fun and free way to learn any of 163 languages with Personalized Courses, movies, music, and more. Access this service from our website, and learn how to say "thank you" in a new language.
- Newspaper Archive provides access to historic Provo newspapers from 1922-1977. Browse through the articles and learn about Provo history!
- Use your library card to get free access to World Book Encyclopedia! Find an article about your favorite animal, and tell us one interesting fact about your animal.
- Lynda.com is a database of tutorials where you can learn software, technology, creative, and business skills to achieve your personal and professional goals. Access this resource for free from our website. Then look up a topic you are interested in and watch a video on Lynda.com. What did you learn about?
- Learn something you didn't already know about a loved one.
- Auto Repair Source offers access to a wealth of information about auto repair. Access this service on our website and search your car, or your favorite model of car, and browse the auto repair manual.
- Did you know that the library has a long history in Provo? Check out the Academy History page on our website. What year was the Provo Library founded?
Complete two of the activities below to earn the SERVICE badge!
- Do a chore at home that is not usually your responsibility.
- Rake up all the leaves and sticks to get your yard to get ready for Spring! If you don't have a yard, consider picking up trash around the neighborhood.
- Cheer someone up by telling them a joke, giving them a call, making them a treat, or just giving them a smile.
- Ask each family member what you can do to make their day easier or to help them smile.
- Make the bed for someone else in your family.
- Donate virtually to a nonprofit of your choice. If you cannot donate, consider sharing information about the organization on social media.
- Record a short message of encouragement and love and text it to someone.
- Make breakfast in bed for someone you care about. Make some paper flower or other spring decorations to brighten up your home.
- Write a note or email to a family member and thank them for something they have done for you.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the FITNESS badge!
- Go to the Disney Family YouTube channel and do one of their "Get Moving" videos to exercise along with your favorite Disney characters.
- Join in on a live Provo Rec Center Fitness class. You can find these videos on the Provo Rec Center Facebook page.
- De-stress and just flow by following along with a yoga instruction video online.
- Play a game of hopscotch outside (or inside!) with your family.
- If you have the wiggles, turn on a few good songs and dance like no one is watching!
- Did you know that you can browse magazines on Overdrive? Check out a fitness magazine for tips on exercise and nutrition.
- Have a jumping jack contest to see who can do the most jumping jacks in a minute.
- Find a free mediation app or video and do some deep breathing for 15 minutes.
- Go to www.gonoodle.com and find a fun video to get your family moving! GoNoodle gets kids up and moving. Each dance party, yoga session, mindfulness activity, and game session is a chance for kids to wake up their bodies, engage their minds, and be their best.
- Find items around your house to create an obstacle course. Time each family member to see who can get through the obstacle course the fastest.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the NATURE badge!
- Take a look at our What to Do in Provo Outdoors page and learn about the many trails and parks in and around Provo. Pick a park and trail you would like to visit and tell us what it is called.
- Arbor Day is April 24th. Spend some time under a tree to celebrate!
- Have a picnic in your favorite park or even your backyard.
- Make a bird feeder out of a pinecone, peanut butter, and bird seed. Watch all the different kinds of birds that come.
- Grab a notebook and pencil and spend some time observing nature and writing/drawing what you see.
- Using the World Book Encyclopedia, look up some of your favorite plants and draw them. Write two sentences about what you learned about that plant.
- Bundle up and head outside once it is dark. See how many constellations you can find in the night sky above your house.
- Explore your yard and see how many different types of bugs you can find.
- Springtime weather in Provo can be unpredictable! Make a weather chart and observe and record the weather for a few days. Did it change a lot or was it consistent?
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood or even your back yard and then write down what you observed.
Complete two of the activities below to earn the COMMUNITY badge!
- Make a thank you card or write a letter to someone who is serving in the military and send it to them.
- Sit by your window a little bit and if you see someone walking their dog or getting their mail. Make sure to wave and smile!
- If you have neighbors who you see often but can't right now, give them a call to see if they have everything they need.
- Order takeout or curb-side pickup from a local restaurant. If you cannot leave the house, show your favorite local businesses some love by tagging them or posting about them on social media.
- Take a walk and pick up five pieces of trash and throw them away
- While maintaining proper distance and following safety precautions, make a poster that says "thank you" for the garbage truck driver when they come to get the garbage.
- Tape a nice note up in your window for anyone who walks by to see.
- Try to smile at everyone you see for a day - a smile goes a long way towards lifting someone up and making their day better.
- Download the Provo Historic Tours app and browse through the different walking tours available.
- Visit the Recycling page on www.provo.org. Read about our city's recycling process. What is something you learned that can or cannot be recycled in Provo?
Complete two of the activities below to earn the EXPLORE badge!
- Have a scavenger hunt in your own backyard or neighborhood. You can design your own or look one up online.
- Make a floorplan of your dream house.
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood and take pictures of signs of Spring.
- Using the Road Warrior database, explore what it is like in another country and present the information to your family
- Take advantage of the many free online museum tours available through the internet right now. Which museum did you explore?
- A lot of places are doing concerts online - look up one and explore a new type of music.
- Plan a family trip together and decide where you would go, what you would do, what foods you would eat, etc.
- Create a model or map of your backyard or neighborhood.
- The Natural History Museum of Utah in Salt Lake City has lots of great resources on their website. Visit their blog and read about a topic that interests you.
- Take a look at the Provo Library's Self Guided tour on our website. Browse through the info and take a "tour" of our beautiful building, then answer this question: On which floor is the Anderson Art Gallery?