Though Utah Valley University is located in Orem, its roots are in Provo.
It was established in 1941 as the Central Utah Vocational School.
In 1963 it became the Utah Trade Technical Institute.
In 1967 the school became the Utah Technical College.
In 1987 it became the Utah Valley Community College.
In 1993 it became Utah Valley State College.
In 2008 it became Utah Valley University.
For many years it was commonly referred to as the "Tech".
Now a full four-year university, it offers a number of bachelor degrees, still with a distinct emphasis in vocational-technical areas.