In case you haven't heard, award-winning author Kenneth Oppel will be here at the Provo City Library on Wednesday, May 4 (that's one week from today!). You can get tickets at our First Floor Reference Desk, or online. While you're waiting, here are 10 things you might not have known about Kenneth Oppel!
- He was born on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
- He decided to be an author when he was 12 and when he was 18 got his first novel published.
- His first novel was published because he had a friend who was the friend of Roald Dahl. Dahl read his manuscript and sent it on to his own publisher.
- He double majored in college in Cinema Studies and English.
- He has lived in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada; Oxford, England (while his wife was doing a PhD in Shakespeare Studies); and Dublin, Ireland.
- It took about 8 months for him to write each of his Silverwing books, but 18 months to write Airborn.
- All the different kinds of bats in his Silverwing series are based on real bat species.
- He has written 14 novels, 9 early readers/chapter books, and 6 picture books.
- When he is not writing he likes to travel, often by train.
- Every morning when he wakes up, he tries to write down what he dreamed during the night. He uses material from his dreams in some of his books.
Pick up Kenneth Oppel's books at the library, and then come and meet him next Wednesday!