When I was in school, I really, really hated writing papers. So much that once when I had a paper due the next day, I forced myself to write a page on Why I Love to Write Papers (all lies) to try to convince myself to WRITE IT ALREADY. I did end up getting the paper done in the middle of the night, but if you don't want to go to the trouble of coming up with a three-point thesis on why you love writing papers, check out the resources we have on our website! They're a huge help and I wish I'd had them back in high school and college!
- First, you've got to figure out what to talk about. That means you've got to do a little research to see what interests you. Our How to Research page will help you know where to look for the right information.
- If you need credible sources for your paper, a simple Google search won't do. You need to look at websites that show you academically relevant articles. Luckily you have access to a whole bunch of those websites with your library card! Our Homework Databases page lists several golden nuggets of websites that have tons of articles perfect for school papers. A couple of favorites: Points of View will give you great information if you're writing on a much-debated subject or issue (it will give arguments for both sides of the issue!). EbscoHost also has sources on a ton of helpful topics - biographies, literature, science, history, and health just to name a few.
- If you still want to try your luck with Google searching, you should check out our Evaluating Online Sources page. It will help you figure out which articles and books are going to be the most valuable so you don't waste your time with bad sources!
- Once you've done some research it's time to get down to it. Our How to Write a Paper page breaks it down into steps - just take them one at a time! You'll be done before you know it.
- Of course you need to show where you got all of this lovely information. Time to Cite Your Sources. Many online resources and databases have handy citation builders that will build the citation for you, but if not we also have links to a few websites that can help put it all together for you.
There you go, your next paper should be a breeze. Of course if any of this gives you trouble, come in to the library - our librarians are trained in this stuff and we're ready to help you any time! It might just be the extra oomph you need to get your next paper underway.