The Provo Tabernacle is actually the second tabernacle erected on the block between Center and 100 South, University Avenue and 100 West. The first tabernacle was too small from the day it was dedicated, and Brigham Young noted the need for a new tabernacle in his dedicatory address in 1867. It was some 15 years later that approval came for the construction of a new tabernacle. The project took 13 years to complete.
The architect was William Folsom, who designed many of Utah's tabernacles and temples. He was asked to pattern the new tabernacle after the Salt Lake Assembly Hall, which he did with some modifications. The new tabernacle would be done in Gothic Revival stye. The tabernacle was built 20 feet longer and 10 feet wider than the Salt Lake Assembly hall and would have four large octagonal staircase towers--one in each corner of the building. Rising from the center of the roof was a cuppola, which proved to be to heavy for the roof. Due to the sagging roof the cuppola was finally removed in 1917. Also in 1917 the original frosted windows were replaced with stain glass windows.
On December 10, 2010 a devastating fire destroyed the interior and roof. The fire was discovered and reported at 2:43 a.m. Despite efforts of firefighters in the subsequent hours the roof collapsed at around 6 a.m.
In October of 2011, Thomas S. Monsen, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced that the Provo Tabernacle would be rebuilt as the Provo City Center Temple. The temple is expected to be completed sometime in 2015.